You can greatly improve the effectiveness your Google AdWords campaigns and PPC campaigns in general just by following a few new management best practices. What’s more, most of your competitors won’t be following these best practices and that’s what’s going to give you the edge.
Now, we aren’t going to be talking necessarily about the technical side of things. Rather, we’ll introduce you to a set of tactics you can use to greatly improve the conversion rate of your AdWords campaigns.
In this article, we’ll share 5 tips for Google AdWords management so you can maximize your PPC budget.
Table of Contents
- 1 Tips for Google Adwords Management
- 2 Google AdWords Management Tips – Final Words
Tips for Google Adwords Management
Tip#1 – Laser Focus Your Targeting
The Pareto Principle states that 80% of your business will come from 20% of your leads. So what about the remaining 80% then? Should you be wasting your PPC budget on bad leads?
What you can do weed out that 80% is by focusing your keyword selection on your target audience.
For example, if you’re marketing testosterone replacement therapy in Melbourne, it won’t make much sense to also run an ad for ‘doctor in Melbourne’.
Sure, you’ll get a lot more leads with the generic ‘doctor in Melbourne’ keyword but they won’t be from people looking for testosterone replacement therapy.
You’re getting charged for every AdWords ad-click, so running ads that are focused on your target customers is a great way to maximize ROI.
Tip#2 – Stop Spending More Than What You’re Making
Ideally, you should be using Google AdWords with one thing in mind: making more money than what you’re spending on daily ads.
A best practice here would be to link your Google AdWords account to your website’s Google Analytics. This way, you can easily track leads, conversions and measure the ROI of your ad campaign.
There are a lot of tools out there to make this process easier and more convenient, so search around and keep track of your ROI on daily ad spend.
Tip#3 – Leverage Display Network Ads on LinkedIn
Did you know that you can advertise on LinkedIn through Google? Using the Google Display Network ads, you absolutely can. Many digital marketers don’t know about this key information.
We’re mentioning LinkedIn specifically because it’s a great place to get B2B leads from. Now, LinkedIn allows you to run PPC ads on its service as well, but surprisingly, they can be more expensive than what Google will charge you.
Advertising on LinkedIn through Google Display Network is easy. Simply create a Placement Targeted Ad Group in AdWords and specify LinkedIn as your target.
Tip#4 – Run Ads on Brand Keywords and Terms
Brand keywords are search terms that are related to (and consist of) your brand. So why should you bid on your own brand? It’s very likely that you’ll already be ranking on position one for those terms in organic search, but you need to understand the importance of SERP (search engine results page) real estate.
The more real estate you occupy on SERPs, the more likelihood that people will click-through to your website. What’s more, there might be firms who’re using your brand to sell, so it’s always a good idea to be on the first position for branded terms through ads (this also helps build authority).
And, unlike organic search results, clicks on paid ads will land on pages that have been designed to convert and generate sales. As a bonus, it’s worth noting that the cost-per-click (CPC) on branded terms tends to be low, so using branded keywords can be a cost-effective way of improving your ROI
Tip#5 – Create Dedicated Landing Pages
A critical part in the online sales process is your website user experience. If you’re running an ad for a service, then it does not make much sense to be sending users to a general-purpose homepage that is meant to handle everything. Instead, you should create different and dedicated landing pages for each of the services you offer.
The only purpose of a landing page is to convert visitors to leads. A landing page is in a much better position of aligning itself with your target keywords and the ad copy. Try to make landing pages that seem a direct continuation of the ad that leads to them. This will make for a seamless transition. Also, make sure that the user finds the info they came looking for. That is, figure out what attracts them about your ad and use the landing page as an opportunity to explain it in a compelling manner. Don’t forget to include call-to-action buttons.
Google AdWords Management Tips – Final Words
There are many ways of doing Google AdWords. Every PPC expert will have their own way of doing things, but it’s generally a good idea to establish a set of best practices which will become standard procedures in your future campaigns. In order to create high quality campaigns, make sure to use the tips we’ve highlighted above.